Social media has joined a long list of tools that are essential to the modern marketer. More than a third of the world’s population are active on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Nowadays, users of these social media platforms are actively seeking out and engaging with brands and small businesses. Unfortunately, marketers and their companies can’t be on every single platform at once, especially smaller businesses who are restricted when it comes to their marketing budget.
We’ve put together a simple guide to help you choose which platform is best for you and your brand. If you’re in need of a partner to help with your social media marketing or digital marketing needs, contact us by filling out our form and we’ll reach out as soon as we can!
Whatever audience you may want to target, Facebook is probably the best platform for you to effectively reach out to your target market. There are really no restrictions when it comes to targeting your audience on Facebook, especially since the user base is so diverse. In fact, you can target users right down to their interests such as landscape photography or Python programming. Specific demographic, geographic, and psychographic targeting is primarily available through paid Facebook Ads.
As of July 2019, Statista reported the distribution of Facebook users’ age. Their findings found that people between the ages of 25-34 made up more than 30 percent of Facebook’s users. What does this mean?
If you know that your target market is in the 13-17 range or 35-44 age range, you’ll find that your audience is spending less time on Facebook compared to other platforms such as Instagram or Snapchat. However, if you decide to target people in the 18-34 range, a group that makes up over half of Facebook’s user base, you may find that it may be worth the effort to go after these people.
Here are a few statistics that may help you with your Facebook marketing:
- Peak traffic times occur in the middle of the week between 1-3 pm. According to Forbes, a post created at 7 pm will generate nearly double the number of clicks as a post created at 8 pm. However, engagement is generally higher during the evening hours, so you may want to test what times work for you.
- Engagement is highest on Thursdays and Fridays. Use this to your advantage for optimizing and scheduling your content.
- 50% of 18-24 year-olds check Facebook when they wake up in the morning. Facebook is the first interaction they have with the world, so effectively using your marketing strategy on Facebook could reap big rewards.
- The average time spent on Facebook is around 20 minutes. You only have a short amount of time to make an impression, so tailor your content to make it as unique and interesting as possible in order to capture your audience.
- 42% of marketers state that Facebook marketing is critical to their business. With so many users on the website, your competitors are most definitely on the page. You can’t afford to be sitting out in this game.
Instagram has thrived since they were acquired by Facebook back in 2012. The photo-sharing app has over 1 billion users as of 2019. With the app, users can post photos, videos, and stories from their life or even their favorite brands. In fact, nearly 80% of users on Instagram are reported to be following at least one brand (Source: AdEspresso).
Unlike other social media platforms, engagement rates on Instagram are high, with nearly 10 times the engagement per post on Facebook. Why is this? It’s probably because of Instagram’s ability to better reach users. Not only that but Instagram’s users are generally much more enthusiastic and engaged compared to other platforms. And when it comes to engagement, brands report that they see about 4% of users engaging with their content. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, Facebook and Twitter have engagement rates of around 0.1%, so Instagram is the best platform to keep your audience engaged and active.
Instagram’s ad revenue was projected to hit nearly 11 billion dollars. So why are brands flocking to Instagram? When you look at it, the heavy visual focus of the app makes it an appealing place for brands to market themselves. Brands can showcase everything from fashion and travel, to photography and sports. Ultimately, users on the platform love to follow brands that have a high visual appeal. Not only do they love seeing these brands, but they’re actively seeking them out, so use that to your advantage.
As seen above, Instagram’s majority demographic is on the younger side. So, if your brand is targeting the under 30 crowd, Instagram is the perfect platform for you. With Instagram, no matter your industry, you can showcase your products
Here are a few statistics from Hootsuite that may help you with your Instagram marketing:
- 80% of users follow at least one brand.
- One-third of users have purchased a product through the platform on mobile.
- Posts containing video get almost 40% more engagement than any other type of media.
- 60% of users learn about new products through Instagram.
- An estimated 75% of users will act on at least one ad at some point.
If your company is providing B2B products or services, LinkedIn might be the most effective social media platform. LinkedIn is the largest professional networking social platform today, and it is surprising how many businesses don’t utilize it to gain leads.
Because of its very specific user base, LinkedIn has an advantage over other social media channels. What’s the difference? Users of LinkedIn are generally more educated, affluent, and in a professional working environment.
Out of all social platforms, LinkedIn is by far the best platform for B2B lead generation. Even though social media isn’t the best source of leads for your company, it’s still a big component of an effective lead generation strategy. Being able to strategically position yourself can help you to capture and convert leads.
Here are a few statistics from Hootsuite that may help you with your LinkedIn marketing:
- 45% of users are in upper management positions. This may be a big indicator as to why LinkedIn is the top platform for lead generation. Almost every single person who’s a decision-maker on LinkedIn is gathering here to
- 57% of LinkedIn usage is on the mobile app. Use this information to optimize your content, especially video content, for mobile devices.
- 64% of web traffic from social media to corporate websites originates from LinkedIn
- 80% of social leads media originate on LinkedIn
- InMail has a 300% higher response rate than traditional email
Being able to understand which social media platform to use will save you lots of time and money. While it is an important part of your marketing strategy, social media marketing should not be your main focus. According to Blue Corona, spending up to six hours a week on social media (engaging with audience, posting content, etc.) to be effective. If you’re in need of a partner to help with your social media marketing or digital marketing needs, contact us today.
More than a third of the world’s population are active on platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
As of July 2019, Statista reported the distribution of Facebook users’ age. Their findings found that people between the ages of 25-34 made up more than 30 percent of Facebook’s users.
Get a website. We'll build it for you.
Building a website is not for everyone. Get yours, built by professionals, for $29/month.
Unlike other social media platforms, engagement rates on Instagram are high, with nearly 10 times the engagement per post on Facebook.